Tuesday, December 11, 2007

5 Reasons Why I Have a Crush on My Parents' Retirement Magazines


Postcard from my parents' home: I love the hot spa. I love the affordable movie theater and I love how they love us so much. And I love all of the retirement magazines my mom and dad share with me when I go to visit. Here are my:
5 Reasons to Love Retirement Magazines

1. They're all about thrift. Retirement publications are geared toward those who are trying to get the most out of a pension fund, investment securities or other retirement accounts. They want to conserve capital and preserve their resources. And even though I am a mother with three school-age kids, I have the same goals: conserve and preserve. Therefore, I like the nuggets of info in retirement publications, which are loaded with tips about thrifty living. For instance, I read a great how-to article about refurbished electronics in a retirement magazine. From organic food clubs to cheap drugs, I've learned plenty from retirement publications.

2. Conservative and meaningful investment strategies: The articles about stocks, bonds, real estate investment trusts (REITs) and other securities are usually in language that I can easily understand. The text is written in plain English and without hype.

3. Great advice from Depression Era savers: Confession: A large portion of the material for my blogs and my newspaper columns has come straight from my folks and their friends. They were all children during the Depression Era and during the early 1940s. They know how to save. My mother has told me amazing stories about how she and her brother (My Uncle Frankie) walked miles to attend free art classes at the Philadelphia Museum of Art when they were children. My father has shared stories about earning money by washing marble steps for a nickel when he was a kid. I've learned to listen and read when Depression Era babies speak.

4.The Ads are uplifting. I really, really enjoy fashion magazines. I love Vogue, Harper's Bazaar and other high-gloss publications. But after I read them, I always feel that I need more lip gloss and stuff in my life. Sometimes, I even feel vaguely dissatisfied with my life after I close the pages. I feel struck by a bad case of the gimmees: I want a face peel and super-sized lips. I want to be 10 inches taller and 10 pounds lighter. I want my Jimmy Choo shoes and my Prada fashions. Basically, I don't want to be me anymore. But when I read a retirement magazine, I feel wonderful and I want to look like one of the silver hair models. Very glossy!

5. Great health tips. I value health and well-being tips from senior citizens and older experts who have actually survived a few health scares. They know a bit about getting the most out of the U.S. health care system. What's more, some of the magazines have great tips about new age medicine and longevity. And I have read great pieces about mindful living in publications written for an older audience.

No comments: