Sunday, January 21, 2007

My Son's $10 Suede Sneakers from Target: Flexing Frugal Muscles.

As a parent, sometimes I wonder if my kids really hear me, especially when I preach the values of frugal deals and comparision shopping.

Well today, my 14-year-old gave us lots of reasons to smile. He went to Target, hit the clearance sneaker aisle and purchased a pair of $10 clearance sneakers. What's more, he used his own money, earned from babysitting. The sneakers --black suede with white laces-- are sharp and look just like the triple-digit price-tag shoes he has considered at high-end athletic shoe stores.

But beyond the great deal, I was impressed with his obvious pride at finding a good bargain. He proudly modeled his find for his grandparents and recommended that we all check out the sale.

Of course, like most teens, he still loves expensive basketball shoes that are pitched by big-name NBA stars. But it was refreshing to see my son flex his frugal muscles. It's good for kids to learn to play outside the court of big-ticket marketing campaigns.



_________________

Digg!

The Frugal Duchess Boutique
____________

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to see that they really do listen? :)

Frugal Duchess said...

Bluntmoney:
You are so right. I feel such a sense of relief: He listens and he hears!
Thanks so much for stopping by.

Stephanie Appleton said...

Yeah mom! oh and your son too! LOL