Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Spoils of Life: Brad Pitt& Angelina Jolie Give Back

What do I envy most about Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie? The perks of wealth, including large homes? hot cars? designer clothes? exotic travel? No thanks. My envy has a higher benchmark. My parents raised me better. Of course, I like nice stuff --check out my closet of great bargain clothes!

But let's be real, it's all just closet clutter: future thrift store materials, gargage sale currency, and landfill. I like trinkets, toys and take-out meals (without the e. coli). But my real goal: Share the Wealth! (Take some and pass it around!). In fact, I'm living frugally, saving up dollars and generatng cash in order to have the luxury of giving back to others.

On that basis, the Frugal Duchess Giving Back Club includes Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, who recently created a new "Jolie/Pitt Foundation." The first item on the agenda of the new foundation: "$2 million to the humanitarian organizations Global Action for Children and Medicins sans Frontieres/Doctors Without Borders," according to a recent Entertaiment news report.

Other donations from the Pitted Pair:

*$300,000 to state hospitals in Namibia for equipment and supplies.

*$4.1 million to charity from the proceeds of the sale of photos of their daughter Shiloh.

*$200,000 for hurricane repairs in New Orleans.

*$500,000 for the National Center for Refugee and Immigrant Children in Washington D.C.

*Up to $5 million over the next 15 years for wildlife refuge in Cambodia.


I'd make different charitable choices, but the process and giving-power are something to envy and emulate.

2 comments:

Kira said...

I think you mean $4.1 million from the sale of the PICTURES of their daughter Shiloh. =) The actual child would probably net less, I think.

Frugal Duchess said...

Kira:
You are so right!
I've fixed the error.
Thanks chica!