Friday, May 19, 2006

Pet Supplies for Scruffy at the Dollar Store

We have a new dog named Scruffy. He is so cute. His adoption is a great story for another time.

But first, I want to write about our dollar store pet supplies. Of course, we could have spent a fortune on pet supplies and trinkets at an expensive boutique near our home, where dog shampoos and conditioners cost about $20 a bottle and doggy outfits cost over $100.

Hello?!? I don't spend $20 for a single bottle of conditioner for my pampered hair and I buy my clothes at steep discounts. (Best find: a $100 Ann Taylor Loft jacket for $15 at a summer sale last August.) I love Scruffy, but he doesn't need a $200 jacket and he can use the flea shampoo that my husband found for $1 at a really cool dollar store in South Beach. And the stuff even smells good. (Not for my hair. Oh no. But it's great for Scruffy.)

So here is a list of some of our dollar store purchases:

One Buck Bargains

1. Great nylon leashes (we purchased 2)
2. Really cute dog bowls (one for water, one for food)
3. A package of chew sticks (Other stores charge $6 to $7 for similar packages.)
4. Assorted chew toys...for $1 dollar each. (I've seen the same toys for about $10 each.)
5. Conditioning Pet Shampoo $1 for 16 fl. oz (Forget the high-end stuff for $20 a bottle)

Dollar Duds


1. Chain link leash. The dog hates this one. So we don't use it.
2. Rope/Ball-tug-of-war toy. This dollar store item was a dud. It was not well-made and my dog quickly ripped it apart. oh well....
3. Spiky rubberized teething circle. He ignores this toy.

We enjoyed the stuff that worked and our mistakes weren't costly.

No comments: